The Dental Assistants Association Qld Inc. is the professional organisation that represents Dental Assistants working in private practice, Queensland Health, the University Dental Schools and the Defence Forces.
As an independent "not for profit" association, DAA Qld Inc. has an elected volunteer management committee, bringing together a range of skills and experience to guide our development and help to achieve our vision.
The DAA Qld Inc. is dedicated to enhancing the role of Dental Assistants and promoting career paths through education.
Aims and Objectives
To encourage participation and membership in the Association
To promote the Dental Assistants Code of Ethics
What does it mean to be a dental assistant?
A dental assistant is an important, integral member of the dental team. The team can consist of dentists, dental assistants and receptionists, and may also include: specialist dentists and oral surgeons, oral health therapists, dental hygienists, dental therapists, dental prosthetists, dental technicians and practice managers.
A dental assistant's role is to provide assistance at the chairside for a range of procedures. The duties are of a supportive nature and are supervised by the operator with whom you are working. You may assist with:
- preparation of the surgery
- meeting and greeting clients
- ensuring patient comfort
- recording the condition of their mouth either electronically or manually
- assisting with preventive treatments including teeth cleaning, fluoride applications, fissure sealants, teeth whitening procedures and mouthguards
- assisting during restorative procedures. These may include simple fillings, through to root canal treatment
- crown and bridgework, implants and full mouth reconstructions.
Other duties you would be involved in are:
- the maintenance of infection control
- instrument sterilization
- care and maintenance of all instruments and equipment
- processing of dental radiographs
- reception and administrative duties including appointment making and practice accounts
- stock control.
What attributes do I need to be a dental assistant?
To be an efficient dental assistant you will need the following:
- manual dexterity
- communication skills
- caring and empathetic to clients' needs
- patience and tolerance
- organisational skills
- time management skills
- willingness to learn
There are a variety of facilities in which you may gain employment. Check the local newspapers, government gazettes, employment agencies, ring, write or visit the areas that may be of interest to you.
Private and Specialist Dental Practices
- University Dental Schools
Qld Health District Services
- Community Dental Clinics
- School Dental Service
- Royal Australian Army, Air Force and Navy
Teachers Union Health Society
The private and public sectors offer different opportunities.
- Trainee dental assistant
- Dental assistant
- Senior dental assistant
- Clinical Co-ordinator
- Practice Manager
- Oral Health Therapist
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Technician
For more information on available courses click here.